With summer now in full swing, I decided to designed a sun / beach hat. This hat is made using cotton yarn, and pattern incorporates holes, to keep it light and allow for good air circulation.
I originally made this in one colour, and the pattern has been written accordingly – however, you can choose to use more than 1 colour. Yarn used is sport weight cotton yarn – I used again is Katia Menfis . You will need just a bit over 1 100g ball, so I recommend you get 2.
Here is another pattern I have designed – this one is plain with large flowers.
This beautiful bucket hat is made using 1 main colour in sport weight cotton yarn, and then embellished with flowers in 3 colours . The yarn I used again is Katia Menfis cotton yarn. You will need just a bit over 1 100g ball, so I recommend you get 2. In addition, you will need 4 more colours for the flowers – 1 colour for the centre of each flower and three colours for the flowers. I used 3 round mirror tiles in the centre of the flowers to give it a bit of sparkle.
If you’ve seen my previous posts, you’ll know that I’m really into bucket hats at the moment. Here is an experiment which I actually quite like – reminds me of a crown. Basically, I made a few granny squares inspired by a granny square I have used a couple of times in the past (see Colourful Lined Baby blanket) , and used these in the middle section of the hat. There is no pattern, again it has been a bit of an experiment. I used single crochet for the rest.
Hope you like it and it inspires you! Keep an eye out for the next post – where I will showcase a bucket hat in cotton – I am working on the pattern for that and it will be available soon.
Bucket hats are really cool – and here are some of the ones I have made. There is no pattern, and each has been a bit of an experiment – basically, I just winged it . Essentially, there are 3 sections to the hat (note that the hat is made as a whole – so the 3 sections are not crocheted separately and sewn together – but as a whole) :
the middle and then
I used single crochet as the stitch of choice for the whole hat. I worked the crown in a circle, till it was around 6.5 inches in diameter. For the middle part, I kept going till it was a band which reached the top of my ear. And then finally, I made the rim – approximately 2.5 inches , but it’s really upto you. As the rim is flared, it was also quite an experiment – and I undid and redid this part several times .
Below are some of the hats I made. Big thanks to Jamie for helping model one of them . These hats were made with acrylic yarn using a 4mm crochet hook.
Finally it seems like summer has made her appearance! The temperature here in Malta is in the high 20s (Celsius), there is a nice cool breeze, skies are blue and days are getting longer. No more COVID restrictions – life is good and it’s definitely the best time of the year!
In warmer weather, I normally switch to using cotton yarns for my projects – that way, I can continue crocheting all year round 🙂